Hótel Geysir | Sustainability
We are part of Biostay. Every hand picked stay on Biostay is eco-friendly. They are an environmentally conscious booking platform, spotlighting eco-friendly hotels and experiences and also display nature experiences. Every booking with Biostay will save at least 2 acres of Rainforest.
Biostay has been giving back since the beginning. So far the’ve protected 769 acres of rainforest. Which is the equivalent of 437 football fields and will remove 76,900 tons of CO2 from the atmosphere. Book your next adventure with us, and help us reach our target of 1 million acres of rainforest saved by 2025.
- Manage resources well, reduce waste and increase recycling.
- Choose products and services considering the environment.
- Recycle as much as possible.
- Emphasize the use of Icelandic raw materials and resources.
- Comply with environmental laws and regulations and surpass where appropriate.
- Inform guests on the hotel’s environmental policy and how they can participate.
- Educate employees and service providers about the environment and encourage improvement in this matter.
- Keep the nature clean and respect it.
- Ensure the safety of our guests and be tactful.
- Have a positive impact on the local community.
- Follow environmental innovations and promote general environmental awareness.
- Offer organically grown products when possible.
- Regularly monitor the settings of appliances and water usage in the kitchen and laundry.
- Do not offer disposable or specially packaged products, if possible.
- Sort all waste and send to recycling centers as much as possible.
- Make sorting for recycling accessible to guests and employees.
Green and renewable energy
Hotel Geysir is operated and heated exclusively with green and renewable energy.
All electricity that is used at the hotel is produced by a green energy hydroelectric power plant.
Natural source run-off water is self-drained from the geothermal area to the hotel and used for heating the hotel.
Hotel Geysir has invested in 70 hectares of wetland for the protection of the wetlands. We push ourselves in forestation, have planted a huge number of trees and try to plant annually.
Suppliers from the local area
Hotel Geysir tries to utilize as much as possible of products from the local community. Many greenhouses, that produce vegetables all year round by utilizing geothermal heat, are in South Iceland. All meat and dairy products we use are produced without hormones or antibiotics.
To respect nature and keep it clean
We sort and weigh all garbage and waste and send for recycling as much as possible. We use certified soaps and detergents, and we use the materials sparingly. We ensure that staff have good knowledge and apply acceptable methods in the hotel’s environmental operations and keep abreast of environmental innovations. We do not offer disposable products when possible and we ensure that waste sorting is accessible to both employees and visitors. Our procurement policy prescribes the purchase of bio-certified products together with products from our local area, if possible. We are an active participant in environmental and community work, and we want to do our best to strengthen such work. Our staff can travel together to and from work on a bus we provide.
We respect the rights of our employees
We, of course, pay wages in accordance with applicable collective wage agreements and our human resources policy regarding prevention, staff and development policies is explicit. Annually we have a first-aid course for our staff. We also have a current equality plan as well as a workplace bullying response plan. New employees are trained, and all employees receive an employee handbook for work guidance. We are a health-promoting workplace and support our staff in health care in a variety of ways.
We reduce energy consumption
- Always use LED’s and energy-saving light bulbs when renewed, not incandescent lamps.
- Choose energy-efficient devices when purchasing.
- Work systematically to reduce energy consumption.
- We have a positive impact on society.
- We do business with locals as much as possible and support good local issues.
- We support regional development policy by operating all year.